PhD Psychiatry or Doctor of Philosophy in Psychiatry is a doctoral level degree course of 3 years duration which is divided into six semester. PhD Psychiatry is a research oriented course that helps students to diagnose the real cause of mental illness, emotional or behavioral disorders and its treatment to provide a mentally healthy lifestyle.
The Eligibility Criteria of this course candidates required to have a postgraduate degree in Psychology or M.Phil. in any other equivalent field with the minimum aggregate marks of 55% and above from any recognized university. PhD Psychiatry admission process is based on merit and entrance examinations.
Psychiatry as an academic discipline embedded the in-depth knowledge to the students of implementing the right tools and techniques so that they can easily deal with the patients with mental as well as emotional disorders and bring them back to a healthy lifestyle.
PhD Psychiatry : Entrance Exams
PhD Psychiatry admission process is based on merit and entrance examinations.
The colleges/universities offer Ph.D. programs in Psychiatry, allowing the students
to apply for the course only if they clear the Entrance Examination, conducted by University level or State-level.
The list of the entrance examinations conducted for getting admission in Ph.D. (Psychiatry) program is as follow:
* The All India Institute of Medical Sciences Entrance Exam
* The Central Institute of Psychiatry (CIP) Entrance Exam
* University of Delhi Entrance Exam
* The Indian Institute of Technology - Joint Entrance Exam (IIT-JEE)
* JRF – Junior Research Fellowship
* CSIR – Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
* GATE – Graduate Aptitude Test Engineering
* NET – National Eligibility Test
* DET – Doctorate Entrance Test
* PET – Ph.D. Entrance Test
Specializations Available in Ph.D. (Psychiatry):
There are several specializations available in the field of Psychiatry study:
* Adult Psychiatry
* Forensic Psychiatry
* Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
* Addiction Psychiatry
* Cross-cultural Psychiatry
* Emergency Psychiatry and more.
PhD Psychiatry : Job Prospects and Career Options
After the successful completion of the doctorate degree in Psychiatry, the students are hired as a professional psychiatrist in public health care, mental health care, clinics, educational organizations, counseling offices and more. The average annual salary of a Ph.D. degree holder ranges between INR 2-12 lacs.
Enlisted below are some career options for candidates to choose from:
* Scientist - INR 2 to 4 lacs
* Researcher - INR 5 to 12 lacs
* Social Psychiatrist - INR 8 to 9 lacs
* Counselling Psychiatrist - INR 2 to 4 lacs
* Professor - INR 2 to 6 lacs
* Educational Psychiatrist - INR 2 to 12 lacs